Monday, December 7, 2009

I'm Zelda

Zane's been saying things about me, and I'm here to set the record straight. First of all, yes, I am an overachiever. You would be too, if you thought your life depended on doing something that would make humans keep you!

I must have been a cute puppy, because someone adopted me, but as I outgrew that stage, they lost interest, and I was abandoned. Yes, this man put me out of the car in Texas Canyon, and left me!

Texas Canyon is an area along I-10 in southeast Arizona made up of weird rock formations. No one lives there but there are lots of coyotes, and sometimes even bobcats. It's scary as hell for a small dog.

Fortunately, a kind lady saw this happen, and she rescued me. She couldn't keep me, so she turned me over to Chihauhaua Rescue and Transport in Tucson, AZ., and they found my mom and dad.

I was so nervous meeting them for the first time! I barked, jumped on furniture and even pooped on the floor. The lady asked the man, "What do you think?" and he said, "She's perfect!" Of course, by this time I was on his lap, licking his face.

So they kept me, but I was still worried that I might be abandoned again, so when they seemed happy when I brought them a ball, I kept on bringing them things. I think they will keep me; I've been here for six years, and they are now training me to be a therapy dog.

I get to wear this vest, and they can take me everywhere, like restaurants, where I have to stay under the table, and I go to formal training classes to make me a "good citizen". There will be more training after that until a become a Certified Therapy Dog, then I can go to rehabilitation facilities and visit people.

So there, Zane Carlos, being an overachiever is something to be proud of!

(Editor's note: Next week, if he chooses, Zack may have a few words to say)

No comments: